Sunday, January 16, 2011

Porterhouse steak with carmelized onions and Oma's Potato salad

I had a great day working at the butcher today, before I left he had me use the bone saw to cut this huge aged porterhouse steak for a "special customer". After trimming the fat and prepping the steak I find out that it was for me! So dinner tonight was a 2LB USDA Prime Porterhouse steak. Served with caramelized onions and my grandmother’s potato salad. The onions I decided and sweated and started to caramelize, then set aside. I cooked the steak it in a 12" cast iron and finished in the oven while taking the onions and finishing them in the hot beef fat in the cast iron.

For the steak I set it out on the counter and salted both sides and let sit for 30 mins to get to room temperature while preheating the cast iron on the range. Then I oiled the steak and seasoned with my magic steak seasoning and cooked. I am starting to like the flip often method better then flip once I think.

The potato salad is just boiled potatoes skinned, then while hot you add olive oil (I used EVOO) and salt. Then the ground pepper and small dice of onion. Finally in a little cup we mix water, cider vinegar, mustard, and sugar. Mix it all and that’s it. I added some fresh dill this time.
I was pretty drunk at the time of cooking and forgot to take pictures of the finished fish.. anyway


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

... Oh yeah I also baked a whole wheat sourdough bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment